Pelham Art Center Teen Engagement Programs
Open Call For Submissions For Community Mural
High School students are invited to submit entries to the Teen Artist Council’s Mural Project from now through April 10th
The Pelham Art Center’s Teen Artist Council announces an open call for high school students to submit entries to an exciting new Mural Project, which will occupy the wall of Sweet Lincoln ice cream shop at the corner of Pelham’s 5th Avenue and Lincoln.
The deadline for submissions is Monday, April 22nd, and a winner will be announced on Saturday, May 6 with an Artist Talk. Pelham Art Center has engaged a professional muralist to work with the winner(s) on their creation. The estimated window for painting to be complete is June 2-11.
Guidelines for submissions are as follows:
- Participants must be high school students
- Design should be Happy, uplifting, inspiring and colorful
- Universal appeal – connecting all communities and bordering towns
- Colors should be complimentary with the exterior colors of the building structure.
- Participants are allowed to collaborate with one another
- Entries should be a high resolution photograph and/or scan of a physical artwork.
- Entries should be proportionate to the wall dimensions
- Design should be able to be executed in two weekends
- $1500 worth of stipends will be awarded to Finalists and participants executing the mural
- Participants of the open call should able and willing to participate in the mural painting process
- Sweet Lincoln: 232 Fifth Ave, Pelham, NY 10803
- 40 ft wide, 9ft on the left, 11ft on the right
- Wall features two built in windows (this can be incorporated in design)
- Artists should provide a short paragraph describing their design
- All submissions must be sent in PDF form to [email protected]
- All submissions are welcome but a gridded template is provided to ensure accurate proportions
Teen Open Studios
FREE open studios for teens from the surrounding area to come together and create on Friday afternoons from 3:30-5:30pm.
The 2023 Teen Open Studios start Friday, January 27th and continue through the end of June. All are welcome.
This meaningful time to relax, create and connect with peers and professional artists is beneficial to explore mediums, techniques and to speak about larger life plans for the future. This safe space provides art materials and guidance. Teens have come to work on independent projects for AP portfolios, college applications, or to simply free create in the art studios of Pelham Art Center.
Teen Artist Council
The Teen Artist Council gathers and engages young people interested in creating teen-centric art programs. This will include selecting candidates to speak on a Careers in the Arts Panel series, curating a gallery exhibition at PAC in April 2023, and leading select public programs. This group will meet the second Saturday of the month and the last Wednesday of the month, in a hybrid capacity. This is a program where teens interested in art can communicate, learn, and enjoy the processes of creative expression. This program will be overseen by the PAC professional staff and guest teaching artists, and participants are accepted on a rolling basis through 2023 – Sign Up Here
View Upcoming Careers in the Arts Panels Here
Teen Artist Council – Curated Exhibition
Teen Artist Council at Pelham Art Center announces teen curated show, “Mental Fragments” – Click Here for more details.
Pelham Art Center welcomes high school and college students to engage in internships. Internships offer an opportunity to gain hands-on work experience and learn valuable skills while contributing to a community-based nonprofit art center. Interns can focus on program implementation, special events, research, administration, and more!
Interns at Pelham Art Center are asked to make a commitment to a 6 month internship of about 4 hours per week (appx. 90 hours total).
The next internship time period will be August 2023 – January 2024, and an internship shift from 11-3PM on Saturdays or Sundays onsite at Pelham Art Center will be required. Internship Applications become available in Spring 2023.
For Inquiries please contact [email protected]