In-depth Oil Painting
04/23/2022 - 06/11/2022
Oil Painting Supplies:
- 9 x 12 Pad of Newsprint (preferably smooth)
- Wolff’s Carbon pencils #4B or 6B
- Kneaded Eraser
- Paint: Grumbacher or Winsor/Newton – Only get Professional Grade, not Student Grade (these brands are good quality and reasonably priced).
- Palette Knife: Flat or Trowel type (must be flexible). – (For mixing paint on palette)
- Palette: Wood or glass – The wood is lightweight for transporting – They come in different sizes.
- Stretched Canvas: Good sizes for portraits are 14 x 18 and 16 x 20.
- Oil Painting Mediums: Turpentine (Turpinoid is best for class – no smell – Blue & White can), and Grumbacher or Winsor/Newton linseed oil (cold pressed). These are used to thin the paint – to make it more liquid.
- Palette Cups or small glass jars with tight lids for carrying the mediums (at least 2).
- Oil Colors: Titanium White (large tube – 150 ml), (the rest are small tubes – 37 ml.) Ivory Black, Ultramarine Blue, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre, Sap Green, Cadmium Yellow Light (Grumbacher), Cadmium Red Light (Grumbacher), and Venetian Red (Block X Brand – you can probably only get this from a catalog).
- Brushes: Flats and/or Filberts – Bristle – Robert Simons – Signets good quality – reasonably priced. Brush sizes #2, #3, #4, #6, #8 – (A good assortment to start out with).
- Roll of Paper Towels or rags for wiping brushes, Etc.
* If you want a good art supply catalog (the prices are much better than the stores) – Jerry’s Catalog : call toll free 1-800-827-8478 or www.jerryscatalog.com (they carry almost everything).